11/06/2009

Changing Someone's Life!

Sitting in a room still cooled by a moonless night talking to Vinicius about the gospel of Luke, I hear the words leave his mouth; "you have changed my life".  Some seconds went by as the words worked their way to the understanding part of my brain.  I thought, what do you mean?  How could I change your life?  I am not God to change anyone's life.  I kindly said thank you and tried to change the subject because I felt uncomfortable by his affirmation.  We soon said goodbye to one another and I went on my way.  That was over a week ago.  His words still bring me some discomfort.
    As the days have passed, I have tried to make some sense of Vinicius' words.  What follows are my thoughts; I could not change someone's life because I am not God but I can be used by God, maybe imitating Him, to show someone a different way to live and think, to see life in a new light.  After all, that is what happens with our children, friends, co-workers, etc...  They see how we act, talk, whether we gossip or not, what kind of values we have and they begin to paint a picture of who we are.  When they get through painting us and we do not look like all of the others that they have painted, we have a chance to change their life.  Not us in imparticular but God working through us, His light shining, pouring some of His salt on those around us and when they are able to see and taste of God they change. 
    Let others see your good works so that they may glorify the God of all creation.  May God bless you as you go through this world hearing words like I was blessed to hear and may we always remember who changed us.

No comments:

Post a Comment